Monday 12 January 2015

Magical Mondays and 31DC-D12 - Film

Hey y'all!

Happy Magical Monday!  Today I'm back with the next installment of the collab series I'm doing with Belle Glamour, celebrating one of our favorite mutual interests, Harry Potter.  It also works out quite nicely that today's prompt for the 31-Day Challenge is Film, so I could kill two birds with one stone!  This month, Cat and I are showcasing our favorite characters from Harry Potter and the Philosopher's (Sorceror's) Stone.  My personal favorite character is Hagrid, played by Robbie Coltrane in the films.

Nail art tribute to Rubeus Hagrid, Keeper of Grounds and Keys at Hogwarts for Magical Mondays collaboration with Belle Glamour.
Rather than try to take a picture of all the different polishes I used to freehand these nails, I'm just going to list what I used on each finger.  In addition to the list below, I used KB Shimmer Clearly On Top to seal all my artwork in, and then applied NYC Matte Me Crazy top coat to all nails.

Thumb:
MoYou Nails Pink, Barry M Watermelon
Harry's birthday cake nail art tribute to Rubeus Hagrid, Keeper of Grounds and Keys at Hogwarts for Magical Mondays collaboration with Belle Glamour.

This nail is in reference to the birthday cake Hagrid makes for Harry's 11th birthday, presented when he arrives to give Harry his Hogwarts letter.  "Baked it myself, words and all."


Index:
China Glaze First Mate, Sinful Colors Endless Blue, MoYou Nails Light Blue, INM Northern Lights, Essie Blanc, MUA Pitch Black, Sally Hansen Gone Grey, Barry M Silver Foil
Sirius Black's motorcycle nail art tribute to Rubeus Hagrid, Keeper of Grounds and Keys at Hogwarts for Magical Mondays collaboration with Belle Glamour.

This nail represents the flying motorcycle Hagrid is riding the first time we see him in the film.  Later in the series, we discover that the bike actually belongs to Harry's godfather, Sirius Black.

Middle:
Nina Rum & Reggae, Barry M Cocoa, MUA Pitch Black
Nail art tribute to Rubeus Hagrid, Keeper of Grounds and Keys at Hogwarts for Magical Mondays collaboration with Belle Glamour.

The man himself, Rubeus Hagrid.  He's a giant of a man, with a mane full of messy, long curls, and a full mustache and beard.  He's got a thick west country accent, and was born in the Forest of Dean.  Who would've known when I first saw the first HP movie over 10 years ago that I would eventually fall in love and move to the outskirts of that same forest?

Ring:
Barry M Cocoa, MUA Pitch Black, MoYou Nails Pink, Essie Where's My Chauffeur
Fang boarhound nail art tribute to Rubeus Hagrid, Keeper of Grounds and Keys at Hogwarts for Magical Mondays collaboration with Belle Glamour.

Probably one of my favorite things about Hagrid is his sweet boarhound, Fang.  This nail is the first time I've tried to capture a puppy face.  It was quite the challenge, and it's a bit sloppy, but I think I managed to capture his wrinkly head.

Pinky:
Essie Where's My Chauffeur, Barry M Silver Foil, MoYou Nails Pink, ELF Electric Fuchsia, Nina Rum & Reggae
Umbrella nail art tribute to Rubeus Hagrid, Keeper of Grounds and Keys at Hogwarts for Magical Mondays collaboration with Belle Glamour.

This last nail didn't come out quite as dynamically as I'd hoped, but it is Hagrid's pink umbrella, which contains the (possibly mended) pieces of Hagrid's wand, which we find out later in the series was snapped into pieces by the Ministry of Magic when he was expelled from Hogwarts as a student.

Nail art tribute to Rubeus Hagrid, Keeper of Grounds and Keys at Hogwarts for Magical Mondays collaboration with Belle Glamour.

These aren't the prettiest nails I've ever done, nor are they the most stylish, but I'm actually kind of excited to see some of the freehand stuff I'm practicing is starting to pay off.  This one was particularly challenging because I used polish rather than acrylic paint, which is far more forgiving and flows a lot more evenly. 

Be sure to check out everyone else's Film inspired looks for the 31-Day Challenge in the inlinkz, and also be sure to check out Cat's favorite Harry Potter character!




Have a great week, and I'll see you tomorrow!