Sunday 11 January 2015

31DC-D11 - Reversed Polarities

Hey y'all!

Today's prompt for the 31-Day Challenge is Reversed Polarities, which confused quite a few people, apparently.  Originally I had intended to do a purple and yellow half-and-half nail with some needle dragging in concentric circles, but after Debbie explained what she meant with this prompt on a group discussion board, I had to rethink what I was doing.  The less confusing term for this look would be something like photo negative, or inverted colors, where the colors of a nail art are flipped to the opposite color.  I almost immediately thought a skyline mani would look cool with the colors inverted, and possibly because we just booked our next trip to Austin, I just had to give it a try with my hometown's skyline.

Austin skyline nail art in inverted colors.

For my inverted night sky, I sponged on a 3-color gradient over a white base using Sinful Colors Unicorn, Sally Hansen Man-go Team! and MoYou Nails Orange.  I then applied a thin coat of Sinful Colors Frenzy, which added purple and blue "stars" to my sky.

Austin skyline nail art in inverted colors.

With my white acrylic nail art ink, I freehanded six of Austin's more unique skyline buildings - ones that say, hey, this is DEFINITELY the Austin skyline and not Dallas or Houston or Chicago or any other city.  They include the state capitol building and the UT tower, both on my middle finger.  I then put "lights" into my buildings with Sinful Colors Enchanted and MUA Pitch Black and created a moon with a large dotting tool, Pitch Black, and some swirled-in some grey tones I created by mixing black and white polish together.  I decided to turn my thumb into either Lady Bird Lake or the overhead sky by applying Unicorn and Frenzy.  After I sealed all my art in with SV, I matted the entire look with Barry M Matte Top Coat.


I can't wait to see what the other ladies have come up with for this prompt - should be very interesting!  Check them out in the inlinkz below.




Enjoy the rest of your weekend, and I'll see ya tomorrow - when I'll combine the 31DC with this month's Magical Mondays post!

Edit:  On request, I've inverted the colors on this picture so you can actually see what the "reversed polarities" look would look like if it weren't... reversed?