Saturday 10 January 2015

31DC-D10 - Glitter Base

Hey y'all!

Happy Saturday!  I hope you're all staying warm and keeping safe.  Today's prompt in the 31-Day Challenge is Glitter Base, and I was feeling truly uninspired for a very long time until these started forming in my head while looking at one of my new indie polishes.

V-shape lined glitter base nail art.

I used a fairly pale glitter base, evocative of springtime and warmer weather, but I cooled it off with some foil finish polishes that are mirrored in the colors of the glitter mix.

L-R: Barry M Lilac Foil, Octopus Party Plume and Bloom, Barry M Gold Foil

The base for this nail art is the oh-so-lovely Plume and Bloom, which is filled with lavender and gold and rose microglitters.  Full coverage can be obtained in two coats, but I started this look with just one coat on all my nails.

V-shape lined glitter base nail art.

I then masked off a V from cuticle to tip with striping tape, and applied Lilac Foil to my ring finger, and Gold Foil to the other nails.  I then came back in with a thin striping brush and applied the contrasting color to line the inside of my Vs.

V-shape lined glitter base nail art.

After top-coating to eliminate possible smearing, I applied a coat of Beauty UK Matte Top Coat, and added these 5ss blue AB Swarovski crystals to the tip of the Vs.

V-shape lined glitter base nail art.

I wasn't sure I was going to end up liking this look matted or not (although WHY I even doubted it beyond me, because glitter ALWAYS looks great when it's matted) so I did take a few shots pre-matte and without the crystals.  I think it's also pretty, but I definitely prefer the matted version.

V-shape lined glitter base nail art.
V-shape lined glitter base nail art.
V-shape lined glitter base nail art.

Let me know down in the comments if you prefer the matte or the glossy version of this look!  Then, before you go, be sure to check out the other nail art looks using a Glitter Base in the inlinkz below.




Have a great weekend, and I'll see ya tomorrow!