Tuesday 9 December 2014

12DOC: Hoth Camo!

Hey y'all!

Hold onto your seats for a minute... because my nail art for today's 12 Days of Christmas prompt contains 0% nail charms!  Are you so excited??  I totally am.  Today the Challenge Your Nail Art group is tackling the colors Icy Blue and White, so I decided I wanted to go Tauntaun hunting on Hoth, and was gonna need some camo!

Hoth Camo - Icy Blue and White nail art for the 12 Days of Christmas nail art challenge.

So this total look required 8 different polishes, but I'm breaking up my bottle shots because 4 of them were just for the textured accent nail.

Flat nails L-R: Sally Hansen OMGhost, Barry M Elderberry, Rimmel Too Cool To Tango, MoYou Nails Light Blue
Textured nail L-R: OPI Solitaire, Polish Ltd Pale Blue, OPI Tiffany Case, Zoya Muse
So this is actually my first attempt at doing camo, and I decided I just wanted to wing it rather than follow anyone's specific tutorial, and I know there are a lot of different ways to get the camo look.  In my case, I started with two coats of OMGhost on all my nails, and then on my ring finger, I topped that with one coat of Solitaire.


Hoth Camo - Icy Blue and White nail art for the 12 Days of Christmas nail art challenge.

I used the bottle brushes to add in random jiggly lines in funky shapes across the nails, layering them until I was satisfied with the look.  This resulted in quite a bit of polish on my nails, so I think next time I'd try doing it with a dotting pen instead.  I'm also highly unhappy with the textured nail - although I used the same scheme as the others, I guess the lighter blue shades just aren't as opaque and so it looks... off. 

Hoth Camo - Icy Blue and White nail art for the 12 Days of Christmas nail art challenge.

Thankfully glacial tauntauns are not particularly intelligent creatures, so maybe this disguise will work.  Mostly I just want a new mount for riding through the forest, because I don't like walking through cold mud myself. 

To see some (probably) less geeky icy blue and white nail art, be sure to check out the inlinkz below!




Hope you're all keeping warm and safe, and I'll see you Thursday (with another decidedly geeky nail art for this challenge)!