Thursday 2 October 2014

Autumn Nail Art: Burgundy plaid

Hey y'all!

I've been really excited seeing so many fall/autumn nail art designs created lately, and it has definitely put me in the mood to do some of my own.  Today's look features a classic fall color scheme along with a classic fall print.  Check out this burgundy plaid look!

fall autumn appropriate nail art design in burgundy and gold plaid

My palette for this design uses three polishes, including a duochrome courtesy of ILNP.

L-R: Essie Penny Talk, ILNP Nostalgia, MoYou Nails Burgundy
To begin, I applied two coats of Burgundy to all nails.  This color could almost be a one-coater, but I used two to make sure I had it fully opaque.  I then applied a single coat of Nostalgia over my ring and thumb.  Like most duochromatic polishes, and indeed all of the Ultrachromes, Nostalgia can be fully opaque in about 3 coats, but using a dark base color will make the magic happen with just one coat.  Normally I would use black, but I wanted to see how Burgundy would affect the shift.  To my delight, it looks beautiful and definitely complements the Burgundy on the other nails.

fall autumn appropriate nail art design in burgundy and gold plaid

I chose this plaid design from the MoYou London Hipster 06 plate, which is chock full of fun plaid patterns.  The rest was a matter of alternating stamping color to base color, so on my thumb I've stamped Burgundy over Nostalgia, and on my index, middle, and pinky, I stamped Nostalgia over Burgundy.  Again, though most duochromes aren't opaque enough to make a "typical" stamping polish, when you stamp them over a dark base color, it definitely works.  To add just a hint of "accent," I used Penny Talk to stamp over Nostalgia on my ring finger.  My original attempt used Good As Gold, but I felt it was far too "cold" compared to the rest of the manicure, and it clashed.  Switching to the slightly more copper shade in Penny Talk gave me just enough warmth to make it work. 

fall autumn appropriate nail art design in burgundy and gold plaid

I love how the color shift happens with Nostalgia whether it's the base polish or the stamping polish!  I had a moment of sunlight on the day I wore these, and I couldn't stop rotating my fingers around to see the shifts happen.  If people here don't already think I'm weird enough, bygolly I WILL give them some fodder!

So now it's your turn to let me know what you think.  Are you still in love with color-shifters like me, or are you ready for that trend to move along?  Let me know down in the comments!

Also if you like this fall look, be sure to check out the others in this week's FingerFood Theme Buffet linkup.



Hope you're all having a fantastic week, and I'll see ya soon!