Saturday 12 April 2014

Hey Swatch It! Quirk Polish Novels and Nails March box - Peter Pan

Hey y'all!

Back in February, Kerrie announced that she was bringing a new monthly box to her Quirk store, built on the back of her two greatest loves: nail polish and literature.  When an intelligent, talented, creative woman has two loves that war against one another in her heart, her only option is to try to find a way to merge those loves, and as such, Quirk's Novels & Nails was born.  The story goes like this: subscribers receive a monthly box which contains one of Kerrie's favorite books and two limited edition Quirk polishes based on that book, along with some other treats for good measure.  Since I happen to share both of Kerrie's passions, you KNOW I was in line for pre-order!

In March, the first lot of boxes went out, all centered around the book Peter Pan & Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens by J.M. Barrie.


I was pretty excited about this book, because although I've seen many film and stage adaptations of the story, I've never actually read the book, so I am quite thrilled to almost be obligated to do so.  Along with the book came the two promised LE Quirk polishes, each in its own bag, each packed up with a quote from whence the polish was inspired.  A third bag contained two pots of "Pixie Dust" glitter, a card of Tinkerbell decals, and two packets of Love Hearts candy (a cousin of the Sweetart, for my American readers).  Since this box arrived while we were on holiday, I didn't get it until after we returned, and in my haste to organize all the nail things I completely forgot to photograph the whole package as it arrived, but suffice it to say that everything was wrapped up so cutely and with such love.  I dunno how Kerrie does it!  Promise I'll do better next month.




The polishes:

Little White Bird and The Secret of Happiness







The glitters

"All the world is made of faith and trust and pixie dust."
- J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan







Little White Bird

"The reason birds can fly and we can't is simply because
they have perfect faith, for to have faith is to have wings."
- J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird


Little White Bird is a lovely pale yellow creme, filled to the brim with gold flecks.  It's quite thick, which made it a bit trickier to apply than an "average" polish, but not so much that I used foul language, just enough to make me stick out my tongue while applying.  However, all that precision actually made this possibly the first polish I've ever applied that I didn't have to do any cleanup on my cuticles (until I topcoated, but let's not split hairs).  Swatches show two coats of Little White Bird, one coat of Glitter Food, and one coat of Out the Door.  The stamp is one of my black cremes (sorry) and from the Cici & Sisi 04 plate.










The Secret of Happiness

"It's not doing what you like,
but liking what you do
that is the secret to happiness."
- J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan


The Secret of Happiness is a sweet, soft blavender (if anyone else can say blurple, I can make up color names too!) or maybe perwinkle creme, full of tiny purple square glitters.  Easily my favorite of the two shades this month, the application was slightly easier (no tongues required) and the color payoff much better with my skin.  Swatches below are two coats with one coat of Glitter Food and one coat of Out the Door.  The stamp is Barry M Silver Foil and from the MoYou London SciFi-04 plate.








All in all, I'm still absolutely in love with this whole concept.  I love getting new books to read, and I love getting new polishes, and I love getting nail mail, so it kind of ticks all the boxes for me.  The only way Novels & Nails could be any better is if it got up and made me coffee each morning, then wrapped me in a blanket by the window so I could sit and read in a comfy chair.  Failing that, this monthly box does a fine job at being just what it is.  I'm absolutely a fan of the Quirk polishes anyway, so this box feels like a thank you gift from Kerrie to me each month.

Quirk's Novels & Nails go up for pre-order on the 1st of every month and ship out on the 15th and sell for £20.  Limited numbers of each box set are available, but it appears as though there's still a few of the April box if you hurry now!

Hope you're all having a fantastic weekend and I'll see ya soon!

6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for a lovely review! I am glad I have found someone who shares the same passion for books as me! Enjoy your polish lovely! I've added some photos to my gallery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love you Kerrie! One of these days you're going to be that UK Indie maker that everyone knows and launches are going to crash your servers and I'll be able to say I have several Quirk LEs and no I don't want to sell them TYVM. :)

      Delete
  2. This is the cutest idea for a box ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! One of these days I'll actually be able to get around to reading the book, too! :)

      Delete
  3. I love these, sadly I never grabbed one before Kerrie went on hiatus, but hopefully she will continue them when shes back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too! It's just such a wonderful little pairing!

      Delete

I love reading your comments and reply whenever I have time. Thanks for reading and interacting with me!