Sunday 2 February 2014

Hey Swatch It! Rimmel Metal Rush

Hey y'all!

I promised you guys I would start making a dent on my untrieds, so consider today step one in fulfilling that promise.  Today I have three polishes to show from Rimmel's Metal Rush collection, which I picked up at B&M during a pre-Christmas sale for about a pound each.  I love multi-chromes, and I love bargains, so I grabbed every shade I could find, and it looks like I only missed one from the collection, a bronzey green-gold shifter called God Save the Queen.  That's a shame, really, as I currently don't have any shifters in that color scheme, but I do love the three I managed to find!  Prepare yourselves, kids... this one's gonna be pic-heavy.

L-R: Royal Blue, Purple Reign, Pearly Queen


Just a note before we get started:  all of my swatches are 2 coats over a black base.  Because these were designed to be color-flippers (check the stickers on the bottle necks), I discovered so many more shades inside than what appears on the bottle.  They all come with the fat, flat brush that makes me love Rimmel SO MUCH.  Because they are all chrome finish, brush strokes are going to be visible, but they're pretty minimal compared to other metallics I've used.  These all self-leveled really well and dried in about 5 minutes.

Let's start with Royal Blue.


This beauty appears pretty bright blue from the bottle, but not once did I actually capture that hue on the nail over the black base.  Instead, I've got steel blue, a deep metallic green, and a beautiful royal purple shift.  These pics are 2 coats over black with topcoat.


This polish was so incredibly easy to photograph - I almost had to do no work whatsoever.  The shifts just jumped right onto my camera!



Once I was done oohing and aahing over that, I moved on to Pearly Queen.


I have to say, this little girl impressed me SO MUCH.  I wasn't expecting anywhere near the colors that would come out, and never did find any of the soft lilac shade that is so apparent in the bottle.  I really wanted to try to get some sunlight pics of this one especially, but uhm... yeah.  England weather doesn't work that way.  These first three shots are by the window in my conservatory, as it was pouring down outside.  The dog was none-too-thrilled with me because I guess she couldn't hear the deluge outside.  Also, someone send me a snorkel?  Kthnx.  These pics are 2 coats over black with topcoat.

With flash
Indirect natural light
Indirect natural light
 As you can see, over black, Pearly Queen shifts between pale green and rose gold.  SO BEAUTIFUL!

 
 

Last but not least, I gave Purple Reign a run for her money.


I have to say, of the three, this has the least visible shifts in it, but what is there wasn't going to jump up and be photographed the way the others were.  Purple Reign moves from a deep royal purple to a rich fuschia, and sometimes in the light I catch a bit of blurple that you can KIND OF see right along the tips in these pictures.  It is definitely more vibrant in the daylight, and topcoating helps (these pics are natural finish, but I did some nail art over it that I may share tomorrow, so you can see the difference SV makes).


I know this collection has been out for a while, but if you're into multi-chromes the way I am, they're definitely worth a search.  I am very curious to see how they'll stand up against my ILNP Ultrachromes, so I might do a comparison post later on.  Let me know if you're interested in seeing that. 

I hope you're all having a fantastic weekend.  I am dreading tomorrow a bit - I get to go take my driving theory exam.  Once I pass that I have to book my actual driving test, and that terrifies me.  It's so strange to have been driving for over 20 years and feel this kind of pressure to pass an exam, but for all the similarities between our countries, the rules of the road are really quite different.  Reading signage here does not come naturally to me, and it's almost a distraction because I have to concentrate on remembering how to interpret each sign on the road.  However, a lot of the questions are common sense, so I don't feel like I'm going to outright fail, but I'm concerned enough that I'll spend the rest of tonight studying and taking more practice exams.  Another oddity for which I wasn't prepared was realizing that there's a second part of the exam tomorrow called Hazard Perception where I'll have to watch some short videos from the perspective of a driver and click on the mouse every time I see a potential hazard come up on screen.  Apparently if fail either part of the exams tomorrow, I have to resit them both, and repay the £31 sitting fee.  So wish me some luck tomorrow if you think about it. :) 

Until next time!


2 comments:

  1. I love bargain shops they do stock some good things. Good luck from tomorrow I know how nervous I was sitting my theory and practical exam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Roz. I've been taking practice tests all weekend, so hopefully I'm prepared.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and reply whenever I have time. Thanks for reading and interacting with me!