Monday 30 September 2013

Mani Monday: Inspired by a television show

Happy Monday, friends!

Hubby and I have a running issue: finding movies and TV shows that we can both enjoy.  I tend to lean towards fantasy and sci-fi, and whereas he can get into sci-fi, he isn't really a fantasy guy.  In the past, we've been able to find common shows that we can watch together (Doctor Who was one of the first things we bonded over), and he's turned me on to things I hadn't seen in the past, and vice-versa.  For instance, he has gotten me watch Game of Thrones (we're still going thru season 1, NO SPOILERS PLEASE!), District 9, Super 8, and a few other assorted movies.  I suggested he watch Being Human and Battlestar Galactica.  I've tried my best to turn him on to my Joss Whedon obsession - the first time we met I made him watch Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, and though he'd seen Serenity but didn't "get it", on my first trip to England we sat and watched Firefly, which he didn't really start appreciating until midway through the only season that exists.  Pardon me a moment, I still need time to grieve.

Okay, I'm better.  Moving on.  He liked The Avengers, hated Cabin in the Woods and Buffy, but he willingly watched Much Ado About Nothing with me last month and enjoyed it quite a bit.  After many discussions about the kinds of sci-fi he likes, I figured I had one last trick up my sleeve to make him realize why I would, at any given moment, leave him to go make genius babies with the mangod Joss. 

Hey wait, isn't this supposed to be a manicure post?  Oh yeah.  Can you guess from the mani below which Whedon tv show I've suckered hubby into watching, and he actually loves it?



You don't get it?  I gave you all the clues you needed here, people.  WORK WITH ME!

You can mark off 29 points for yourself if you guessed Dollhouse.  If you're not familiar with the show, it's a slightly Philip K Dick-esque world where the technology exists to save a person's existing personality and memories, wipe the brain clean, and import a whole different personality with memories and skills associated.  Of course with that kind of tech, what else would happen on Earth?  An evil corporation starts pimping out pretty people for a lot of money.  A lot of pretty people.  It makes me wish the show had been on HBO or Showtime instead of FOX, m'kay?

Anyway... I started with a base color of the Maybelline Mudslide Tote which I swatched and reviewed in my last post.  After doing the artwork, I topped everything with OPI Matte Top Coat.  My index finger above is a truncated version of the show's logo:
This was very hard to recreate on such a tiny little canvas, but I am pleased with the results.

The middle and ring fingers have one of the shows frequent lines, which is the callback/response the dolls make after they've been wiped (referred to as having a "treatment").  For this, I stippled the lettering on using a toothpick in China Glaze Life Preserver.
My thumb is a bonzai tree which I painted on using my set of nail art pens from bornprettystore.  I plan on reviewing these and a few other items I got from there in a later post.  Doesn't look like it's available on the site anymore, which is probably for the best because I wouldn't recommend them.  However, you can find nail art pens on Amazon and ebay for pretty cheap.  The ones I used were similar to these, but as I said, I'm not terribly impressed with the "pen" part of these, and I basically use the colors with the slightly fat striping brush included, or with my dotting tools.  ANYWAY... inside the Dollhouse, the dolls (or "Actives") live in a very tranquil, spa-like setting where they have lots of activities available to them, such as yoga, swimming, and learning the art of bonzai pruning.  An integral scene in season one takes place during a bonzai session, and I felt it would be an appropriate addition to my manicure.
On my pinky finger, there are three flowers in a vase.  The third flower is GREEN.  If you've seen the show, you understand the awesomeness of this phrase (I feel bad for poor Mellie).  If you haven't, well, rest assured that it's cool and just appreciate that I made some little flowers for you.  Also, DUCK.  I used the same nail art pen set for these with dotting tools to make the flowers.
So that's my manicure tribute to Dollhouse.  As an aside, hubby and I have watched the first episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., and he seems pleased enough that he'll keep watching it with me.  This bodes well for our marriage. 

Do you have an idea for a TV or movie-based nail art for me?  If so, leave a comment below.  Thanks for reading!

PS:  I love you Joss.  F'reals.  Call me?